Friday, February 6, 2015

While the cat's away...



While Jesse travels through China with his mother and her friend, Marilyn, you will have to endure Gabby’s story telling for at least one post. I will apologize in advance for I am not as witty, funny, or verbose as my husband, however I will do a great job of providing lots of facts in the writing style of a telegram.

I am sitting in the faculty lounge watching the fading lights of Shanghai slowly disappear from view while the stinging in my throat and eyes from the pollution level still remains. Today’s air quality level in Shanghai was 243. In the United States alert levels are: 50 – 100 “Moderate (today in NY it was 70) Air quality is acceptable; however, for some pollutants there might be a moderate health risk.”  In the United States 201-300 is considered “Very Unhealthy: health warnings of emergency conditions. The entire population is likely to be effected.” As you will see in my pictures, it looks foggy. That is all smog. My original goal of running outside in every country was quickly squashed as soon as I took a breath outside.There is a layer of dust in the air and covering almost everything. The ship had a great view from where it was docked, but regardless I was really excited to be leaving that night. 





I will try to be diplomatic when describing Shanghai. I will just start by saying it was definitely not my favorite. Before we arrived we were warned that you would either love China or hate it for the same reason “no one in China acts like they give a shit.” Remember manners, not in Shanghai (go ahead and push everyone out of your way). Remember traffic signals, mere suggestions (we saw multiple cars run right through red lights and you were taking your life into your own hands every time you crossed the street as mopeds sped from both directions down the right hand side of the street). Want to spit up that phlegm in your mouth, please do and then spit it right in front of the person walking by (the streets are filled with the sound of someone hocking up spit).  Want to wait in line? Then you are in the wrong place, please proceed with pushing everyone who is also waiting for dumplings out of the way so you can get yours first.

Ok, did you catch the word dumplings in there? There is one very very redeeming factor of China and that is dumplings. Specifically soup dumplings in Shanghai. I will go ahead and quote Anthony Bourdain directly (obviously we went to the restaurant that he recommended in Shanghai), "As [the xiaolongbao] steamed, the delicious delicious fat renders into a soup of the Gods, which then, if you're not careful, causes maximum facial damage — as it changes your life forever."


 Other food that we enjoyed was a great meal at a place that Time Magazine translated to be “Jishi restaurant” however when we showed up it was in fact called “Jesse restaurant,” what are the chances?!?! We did not try the turtle that were in bowls outside of the restaurants, however when we asked our tour guides what turtle tasted like, he said “bull frog.” Well that clears that right up…

Other activities in Shanghai included going to a fishing village, that was marketed as the “Venice of Shanghai.” The town was adorable and we rode in a gondola. We also attended an acrobat show which was fabulous and I have a feeling Jesse will explain in much more detail. The highlight was either the person juggling fire while standing on top (on the outside) of a moving Ferris Wheel or the 9 women balancing at once on a moving bicycle.

I will try to put up a post that includes pictures over the next two days. Jesse, Rochelle, and her friend Marilyn will be traveling overland in Shanghai and Hong Kong and we will meet in Hong Kong soon. I will spend the next two days relaxing, sleeping in, watching the Wire, getting a massage, and “being on call” (there are only 100 people on the ship but one of the psychologists needs to remain on board while in transit). I feel like I chose the better option, but that’s just me.



4 comments:

  1. no offense to Jesse (Jishi!) but this was my favorite post yet! It sounds amazing, delicious and unsanitary. what more could you ask for. I can hear your voice while i read and i love it. you totally nailed it. also, i didn't even find the lack of contractions to be distracting at all. Go Gabby Go! I miss you so!!

    Westward(?!) Ho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you!! I might have gone back through it and added contractions :) (this is Gabby)

      Delete
  2. Oh, and I love the addition of photos. yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are quite a good blogger... and funny too! I LOLed xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete